Modern core banking solutions are every banker’s secret sauce. Irrespective of whether the banks are traditional or new-age, robust core banking solutions are imperative to operational efficiency, customer experience, compliance, and security.
Globally, the core banking solutions market is valued at over $14 Bn. And in India, the market is projected to grow at around 16% CAGR to reach $1510.92 Mn by 2028.
Core Banking Solution
Core Banking Solution (CBS) is the technological engine that drives the modern banking experience. Evolving over the years, CBS transforms the way banks operate and deliver value.
CBS deploys a core banking system, which is the technical infrastructure that enables banks to manage their day-to-day operations efficiently and seamlessly. Banks can create multiple touchpoints like mobile apps, online banking, Point of Sale (POS), physical branches, and Automatic Teller Machine (ATMs) for customers to transact. Customer data remains up-to-date and accurate in real-time, no matter which channel is used. Effective deployment of modern core banking systems provides banks with the following benefits.
- Improve customer experience
- Streamlines process automation
- Simplify banking operations
- Stay ahead of market expectations
- Expand operations both physically and digitally
Modern API-based, next-gen core banking solutions provide a customer-centric platform for agile innovation and higher efficiency. Banks can achieve greater cost and operational efficiencies by making the big shift from legacy to next-gen core banking solutions.
Types of Core Banking Systems
Core Banking System can be categorized based on the deployment model. Based on the method of their deployment, the core banking system can be classified into the following.
- On-Premise Systems: Operated within a bank’s infrastructure, offering control but requiring higher upfront investment.
- Cloud-Based Systems: Hosted on cloud platforms, ensuring scalability, savings, and accessibility from anywhere.
The Core Banking System comprises a cohesive set of components, each serving a specific purpose to facilitate a bank’s day-to-day functions.
- Account Management: Manages customer accounts, from creation to closure, and maintains key details like balances and transaction history.
- Product Module: Enables banks to offer a wide range of options to customers, from savings accounts to loans and credit cards.
- Deposit Management: Oversees all types of deposit accounts offered by banks.
- Loan Disbursal & Management: Handles loan products provided by banks.
- General Ledger Management: Maintains an up-to-date, precise, and well-organized record of all bank transactions within the bank, ensuring data accuracy, compliance with accounting standards, and accessibility for reporting and analysis.
- Reconciliation & Settlement System: Oversees all payment transactions, handling both inbound and outbound payments, along with the intricate clearing and settlement procedures.
- Risk & Compliance Management: Identifies and mitigates credit and operational risks, ensuring a secure and compliant banking environment. It also monitors and reports on compliance tasks, ensuring adherence to banking regulations and legal obligations.
- ATM Management: Manages ATM networks ensuring their availability, functionality, and connectivity to the core system. Handles tasks like cash replenishment, maintenance, troubleshooting, and transaction monitoring,
- Customer Relationship Management: Manages customer-related information efficiently and enables banks to understand their customers’ needs, preferences, and behaviors, allowing for more personalized and targeted services.
Now, let’s explore the advantages of the core banking systems.
Advantages of Core Banking Systems
- Real-time transaction processing: Cloud-based modernized core banking systems process large volumes of data quickly, eradicating delays and enabling real-time transactions. This enhances customer experience and boosts employee productivity.
- Enhanced Agility: Adopting a modern cloud platform built on open-source standards can offer banks the agility required while maintaining performance, reliability, and security. This flexibility empowers banks to swiftly embrace innovation, adapt to market shifts, and introduce new products and services.
- Increased scalability: By deploying cloud-based core banking solutions, banks can ramp up and down service depending on the varying demands. For instance, during peak transaction periods, banks can swiftly tap into additional IT resources via cloud computing, ensuring efficient processing without delays.
- Reduced costs: Core Banking Systems facilitate collaboration by streamlining banking operations, open new avenues for revenue generation, enhancing data efficiency by eliminating data redundancy, and heightening data accuracy and security.
- Greater resilience: Aging hardware raises downtime risks and costs. Cloud providers’ robust security and redundancy resources reduce interruptions, ensuring business continuity for banks with modernized core systems.
- 24/7 banking access: The Core Banking System remains operational 24/7. It allows users to perform financial transactions and seek customer support assistance anytime, anywhere.
- Robust cybersecurity: Cloud providers offer cutting-edge security solutions like AI, biometrics, and more. Storing data in the cloud reduces data breach risks and cyberattacks for banks, enhancing overall security.
- Leverage open banking: A rising trend in finance, open banking offers collaboration between traditional financial institutions and fintechs, innovative tech access, improved services, and higher customer engagement. To seize the potential of open banking and other emerging trends, institutions must adopt modern core banking systems.
Embracing modern core banking solutions is not just an option; it’s a necessity in today’s fast-paced and digitally driven banking landscape.
Looking to modernize your core banking solutions? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest fintech news, views, and insights, directly to your inbox.